Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wyoming... A long Journey home.

Over the plains and through the canyons. We will be home before you know it!
After spending the July 4th holiday in Wyoming with the Katschke family, we were ready for the long but peaceful car ride home. Little did we know the chain of events that would unravel.
An overview:
We begin our Journey.
An hour passes with some chit chat here and there.
Carly asks for the AC to be turned up... getting a little car sick from reading.
{1.5 hrs} into the ride
James changes seats with Carly, hopefully the front will provide more solace.
Jeff frantically tries to pull over to the shoulder of the Highway.
Meanwhile, the car sickness has gotten the best of Carly.
We were unable to make it from 90 to 0 mph in time for Carly.
Mr. up-Chuck makes a visit to Carly.
Jeff helps Carly change clothes and get cleaned up.
I try my best to clean the interior part of the car-
Not the easiest task on a busy highway.
Thank goodness for golf towels, bottle water, baby wipes, and mouth wash.
James keeps the kids distracted.
{2 hrs}
we are back on the road.
Windows down and looking for the next town.
Carly tries to rest in the passenger seat.
Jeff holds Kebler elf cookies to his nose.
{3 hrs}
Looking for a car wash.
Pull into a gas station.
I get in line for the bathroom with Carly.
Remember pregnant lady in the back- that's me. I HAVE to pee.
Almost to the bathroom stall, Carly can't wait.
Runs outside. It's Mr. Chuck again.
Logan begins to play with the store's breakables.
I intervene and distract him with the food (CANDY) section.
Logan gets a chocolate covered ice cream... hmmm.
We ask for a few plastic bags from the Cashier.
Cashier hands us- 50 bags. Literally.
We all laugh about the amount when we get back in the car.
{3.5 hrs}
Logan devours the ice cream while getting VERY sticky.
I clean him up while Jeff takes the rest away.
Carly runs out of the car to the side of the store.
Back on the road again.
{4 hrs}
We have reached a ROUTINE.
Jeff drives- keeping any type of food item near his nose.
Carly sits in the front trying to feel better.
Mr. Chuck makes a special visit to her about every hour and a half.
James entertains Nana: who keeps him occupied with random melt downs.
I(Katy) try to keep my feet up so they don't get too swollen.
I am also on Logan duty- answering the WHY's of a three year old.
I think I have to easiest job plus I get to watch Disney's CARS.
{7 hrs}
We stop to eat.
We first pull into Taco time- nothing like Taco bell/Del taco.
We leave even though James has ordered.
I pick KFC... which was a mistake.
Service POOR. Gross food.
Random children climbing on the walls- Literally.
Carly stays in the car to rest.
James takes Nana outside to walk around. We leave.
{8 hrs}
Stop at the grocery store to get Carly some Powerade.
Back on the road. Still the same ROUTINE.
Nana gets fussy, so we give her some Tylenol.
Kids fall asleep. Jeff drives.
Carly "tries" to sleep.
James rubs my swollen-elephant feet.
{10 hrs}
Should already be home.
Jeff is starting not to feel well.
Pull into a station to get gas.
James takes the wheel.
{10.5 hrs}
James and I talk about food.
Mr. Chuck visits Jeff.
There is silence. We reach Salt Lake City.
{11.5 hrs}
We are at Jeff and Carly's.
Jeff goes inside and is followed by Carly.
I carry Logan to bed. James has Nana.
We unpack the Van and drive home.
Feet are killing me, James rubs my back.
We fall asleep.
Lessons learned:
(1)Logan later that night is awakened by Mr. Chuck as well- poor Pendleton family. (2)You shouldn't laugh when someone hands you 50 plastic bags- you actually may need them. We did. (3)When the "Mom" is down it takes at least two people to take her place! Mothers really are superheros. (4)James and I make a good team and are going to be GREAT parents.... at least I think so! (5)Always carry an extra thing of baby wipes- they can be Heaven sent. (6)If you want a Road trip adventure come along with the Pendleton klan. We always seem to have a story to tell afterwards.
*** I finally reviewed what I typed about 3 weeks ago and noticed the many grammar/spelling errors. James informed me that there were a lot... which I didn't believe til my very own re-read... thanks babe. Sorry to the readers that had to read through the encrypted message. Hopefully it makes alittle more sense.

7 comments:

Landon and Julie said...

OH MY GOODNESS! THAT'S SO TERRIBLE, BUT I AM LAUGHING SO HARD! Bless you all! That's awful, and I'm so sorry!!

Joseph and Amy Katschke said...

Again, so sorry for what you endured on the ride home. I am so glad that you didn't get sick though. You are miserable enough being pregnant without adding the stomach flu to it! (interesting that you had to play nurse more than once this trip!)

Lori said...

I love your posts! You are so cute, and have a darling doting husband. You are so lucky!!

DaleneH said...

Katy, I just laughed so hard. You do such a great job of telling a YUCKY story.!

Allison and Mason: said...

Haha! Hilarious! This made me laugh so hard. Atleast you had a good story to tell - like you said. Wow... I bet you were glad to be home!

Kathleen said...

You tell the story better than Carly! Thank you for taking such good care of them all. (Carly's mom)

About Us said...

OK... now it's serious. POST ANOTHER blog... please :)